Wednesday, November 22, 2017

{Review} Soul Siphon (Soul Stones #0.3) by T.L. Branson

36477369
Page Count: 23
Published on: October 2017
Published by: Amazon Digital Services
Genre(s): Fantasy, Young Adult
Source: ebook
Age Rating: 14+
Where To Find It: Goodreads // Amazon // Book Depository


My Rating: 3 stars









Goodreads synopsis:

Alexander Drygo, king of Sunbury, is reeling from the loss of his wife. Despite his best efforts using an incredible power, she is no longer among the living.

When a rival kingdom seeks to take advantage of this delicate time in Drygo’s life, he is thrust into a battle for the future of his kingdom.

Can he save his people where he could not save his queen?


~~~

Hey, guys!

I was sent this novella for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own and are in no way swayed by others.

      First of all, thank you T.L. Branson for sending me your book. It's definitely going to be one of those series where you get consumed by the intricacies of the world and magic system. I'm definitely going to have to pick up the future additions to the series. 

      This novella follows Alexander Selenius Drygo, the King of Sunbury. Alexander is despondent because of the death of his wife and when his kingdom is attacked by a neighboring kingdom, he must rise from his grief and defeat his enemies to save his people.

      I really enjoyed the basics of this story, however, there were a few things that I felt were lacking. That may be because of the length of the novella/short story, but I do think they could have been included or somehow alluded to in order to fully flesh out the story. 

      First of all, I really did not care for the main character's voice and narration style. I found the way he narrated what was happening to be kind of arrogant and obnoxious. He would constantly switch from first to third person and refer to himself as "the king" which was just annoying. I also really like Alexander's name, but it's quite long and complicated to pronounce. That's to be expected with a king's name though. This novella reminded me a bit like the political vibes of the show Reign and the Throne of Glass book series. 

      Second of all, because this book was not a full fledged book and was a prequel to what is to come, I felt like I was not introduced or immersed into the world that I was introduced to. I felt like I was just dipped into it without enough context. I think that will be remedied in the future additions, but I honestly would want more from the (technically) first piece of the story. It's kind of odd to start with the third novella of a series instead of just starting in the beginning. I also felt like the the magic system that Branson attempted to establish in this short story/novella wasn't fully explored or fleshed out enough in order for me to fully connect to the story and get behind what Alexander is doing.

      Although I don't think that this book is as epic as I would have hoped, I do think it is a promising start to an enjoyable series. I really do look forward to seeing what Branson has in store for readers. 


You Can Acquire A Free Copy of Soul Siphon {here}!

Happy reading!
Olivia
~LivTheBookNerd~
@LivTheBookNerd on Books Amino


No comments:

Post a Comment